[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Sat Oct 4 18:19:20 UTC 2008

>Roger Beaumont wrote:
>> Andrew J Cole wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>  I would start by making certain that postfix was delivering locally
>>>  as desired.  Since you aren't using postfix for SMTP outside your
>>>  local machine I would leave the "smarthost" setup (SMTP to NTL relay)
>>>  till later unless you can see an obvious "smarthost" setting in your
>>>  .cf files.
>>>
>>>  You might be able to get some clues on what your postfix
>>>  configuration is doing using good old unix/linux mail.
>>>
>>>  What does "mail -v XXXX at roger-beaumont.co.uk" etc. produce?
>>
>> More DUL bounce messages from the ntl: server.

I hope its not from NTL: I guess you mean from messagelabs.

btw can I just check that you are restarting the daemon(s) each time
you edit the .cf files?  Or whatever stop/start/restart mechanism is
normally used with postfix.

>> Clearly, 'mail' sees "roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk" as an external
>> destination.
>Methinks you need to define the domain - without the alias@ part - as
>one the server is serving users of.

# The mydomain parameter specifies the local internet domain name.
# The default is to use $myhostname minus the first component.
# $mydomain is used as a default value for many other configuration
# parameters.
#
#mydomain = domain.tld

You could make it

mydomain = roger-beaumont.co.uk

# SENDING MAIL
#
# The myorigin parameter specifies the domain that locally-posted
# mail appears to come from. The default is to append $myhostname,
# which is fine for small sites.  If you run a domain with multiple
# machines, you should (1) change this to $mydomain and (2) set up
# a domain-wide alias database that aliases each user to
# user at that.users.mailhost.
#
# For the sake of consistency between sender and recipient addresses,
# myorigin also specifies the default domain name that is appended
# to recipient addresses that have no @domain part.
#
#myorigin = $myhostname
#myorigin = $mydomain

and also ...

myorigin = $mydomain

# Specify a list of host or domain names, /file/name or type:table
# patterns, separated by commas and/or whitespace. A /file/name
# pattern is replaced by its contents; a type:table is matched when
# a name matches a lookup key (the right-hand side is ignored).
# Continue long lines by starting the next line with whitespace.
#
# See also below, section "REJECTING MAIL FOR UNKNOWN LOCAL USERS".
#
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain,
#	mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain
mydestination = localhost, tower2.beaunet.homelinux.net, localhost.beaunet.homelinux.net,
  localhost.internal, tower2.internal, localhost.localdomain, roger-beaumont.co.uk

This implies that XXXX at roger-beaumont.co.uk should deliver locally!!!!

# Alternatively, you can specify the mynetworks list by hand, in
# which case Postfix ignores the mynetworks_style setting.
#
# Specify an explicit list of network/netmask patterns, where the
# mask specifies the number of bits in the network part of a host
# address.
#
# You can also specify the absolute pathname of a pattern file instead
# of listing the patterns here. Specify type:table for table-based lookups
# (the value on the table right-hand side is not used).
#
#mynetworks = 168.100.189.0/28, 127.0.0.0/8
#mynetworks = $config_directory/mynetworks
#mynetworks = hash:/etc/postfix/network_table
mynetworks = 127.0.0.1

Ok for now since the local mail client is using the loopback.

# The relayhost parameter specifies the default host to send mail to
# when no entry is matched in the optional transport(5) table. When
# no relayhost is given, mail is routed directly to the destination.
#
# On an intranet, specify the organizational domain name. If your
# internal DNS uses no MX records, specify the name of the intranet
# gateway host instead.
#
# In the case of SMTP, specify a domain, host, host:port, [host]:port,
# [address] or [address]:port; the form [host] turns off MX lookups.
#
# If you're connected via UUCP, see also the default_transport parameter.
#
#relayhost = $mydomain
#relayhost = [gateway.my.domain]
#relayhost = [mailserver.isp.tld]
#relayhost = uucphost
#relayhost = [an.ip.add.ress]

Postfix uses relayhost for what is normally termed a smarthost.  If you
change this to

relayhost = smtp.ntl.com or whatever

i.e. the same customer smtp relay you configure into your mail clients.

You should get a little further.  I wouldn't do them all at once rather
do a restart as is because mydestination looks ok.  Do any of the
other "destinations" deliver locally?

Andrew