[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 18:20:33 UTC 2008

Roger Beaumont wrote:
> Mike Goodman wrote:
> <snip>
>>  Roger, are you doing all this from the command line, or are you using
>>  a hosting management app such as Webmin or ISPConfig? For instance,
>>  the latter sets up a special file for hosts (can't remember the name
>>  of it).
>
> Well, CLI and from the GUI file-browser + gedit, but definitely by hand,
> not using a configuration tool.
>
>>  Also, in your old config, you would have had
>>  /etc/postfix/virtual with lines saying this complete address should
>>  be passed to this user's inbox but the domains themselves would each
>>  have a line like {mydomain.co.uk virtual}.
>
> I could find nothing like this in the .cf files, old or new.  Have I
> misunderstood?
>
> Reading /etc/postfix/virtual on the two boxes shows every single line
> commented out on both boxes.

Yes. You're using /etc/aliases. But within those commented out lines,
are there any aliases -> users and are there any lines which
specifically set the domains?

If so, I'd be tempted to try telling main.cf to use /etc/postfix/virtual
- go to the bottom of the page, in mine it's the last couple of lines.
Then in virtual enter for each domain you want the user(s) to have their
mail served there a line {domain}{tab or space}{virtual} and that should
get you running.

>>  So my question is, other
>>  than in main.cf, where are you telling postfix which domains to
>>  handle user mail for?
>
> To the best of my knowledge (obviously inadequate), nowhere, but I have
> the spade ready if you tell me where to dig!  <grin>

That's where I'm stumped. I don't have an old instance still running,
not using /etc/postfix/virtual, besides which my servers are
Debian/Ubuntu so there may be some slight differences. I think you said
CentOS, which is RH.