[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Roger Beaumont roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 00:16:27 UTC 2008

Andrew J Cole wrote:
>  Roger,
>
>  Looking at this one again - and this time reading the detail -
>  explains a lot (see below).
<snip>
> > Clearly, 'mail' sees "roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk" as an external
> > destination.
>
>  Strictly no.  "mail" is the MUA (Mail User Agent), the interactions
>  we are seeing here are between the MUA and the MTA (Mail Transfer
>  Agent) which looks like and claims it is ***sendmail***.  That would
>  explain why ist not accepting roger-beaumont.co.uk for local
>  delivery!

BINGO!

I think I remember some of the postfix documentation saying that
postfix's mail sending thing was also called 'sendmail' which is why I
overlooked this point.

However, I un-installed the sendmail package and suddenly test messages,
both with 'mail' and via thunderbird, do what I expect - they show up in
the thunderbird/dovecot INBOX as incoming messages.

Many thanks to everyone for their help. <big grin>

Now I just need to work out how to run fetchmail on reboot.  Dovecot
and, after 'adding' postfix that as well, show up in the Service
Configuration tool, so I have set those to start in runlevels 3, 4 and 5.

Despite trying to 'add service' for fetchmail, that doesn't show up in
the tool.  Similarly, chkconfig reports "error reading information on
service fetchmail: No such file or directory"

I checked the old and new boxes - and the difference was that the old
one had an executable script called fetchmail in /etc/init.d/ so I
copied that across and both the GUI and the chkconfig command recognised
it.  However, on reboot, the screen message said that fetchmail failed,
"no server specified" (or something like that), but I was able to start
the service manually once I'd logged in.

Any thoughts?

Roger
(using the new server now)