[Wylug-help] OT - desperate Adove Photoshop Elemets help req

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 16:55:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 17:12:35 James Holden wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:55:14PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > one of the lads at work has managed to delete his wedding photos from his
> > laptop.
>
> Oops... that's what backups are for :-)

That would be fine apart from the fact that I had to rebuild the backup server
after a HDD failure - but of course that wasn't a problem because nobody was
having problems at the time. :(

> > The only things left are the thumbnails within the Adobe Photoshop
> > Elements program.
>
> Does anyone else have copies? Has he emailed them to anyone?

Another good option - will ask

> > Does anyone know how I can extract these thumbnails back into image files
> > so that he can put them onto a desktop photo viewer
>
> I don't see how the thumbnails will be any use - they will be small and
> low resolution. You might as well screen capture them.
>
> If you want to have any chance whatsoever of recovering the original
> files from the disk, you must stop anything writing to the disk **NOW**.
>
> Right now, the data will still be there. If the laptop is booted up,
> background processes will be eroding the data as they go about their
> business writing to the disk.
>
> You need to boot off a live CD, then use "dd" to make an exact snapshot
> of the disk onto an external hard drive.
>
> Once you have the snapshot, you can loopback mount it on a different
> machine and attempt to recover the files.
>
> (Or, if it's that important, send it to a data recovery firm like
> Ontrack[1])

The problem is that he doesn't know when he deleted them. I'm going to try
recovering from the backups I do have to see if I have them.  I have used
Ontrack before for work PC's and would recommend them to anyone who needed
their type of service.

However, undelete software I've tried didn't even manage to find a single
deleted file.