[Wylug-help] USB Memory Stick Mounts Read Only

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Fri Oct 17 09:56:17 UTC 2008

> Thanks to both who replied so quickly.
> I didn't realise that access was controlled from the "stick"
> end.  My stick
> doesen't have a switch but I bought a new one and this works
> perfectly.  So I
> think we can conclude that the old memory stick is broken.

  The stick is not necessarily broken: write access to it is
not exclusively controlled from the stick end.

  It is possible you have corruption on the disk. If the
corruption is not present or not evident at mount time, the
warning about its detection may be passing unnoticed. For
example, `man mount` discloses:
       If the msdos file system detects an incon-
       sistency, it reports an error and sets the file system read-only.
The
       file system can be made writeable again by remounting it.

  You may find a [dos]fsck/reformat helps if you still have
the device.

Cheers,
  Wills.