[Wylug-help] Wine help needed

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Sep 5 10:09:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:05:54PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I need a specific windows program that works with a security dongle.
> According to lsusb the dongle driver is installed.  The software installs
> under wine.
>
> When I try to run the software it tells me that the dongle isn't installed.  I
> suspect that it's because I didn't know what to do about the substitute for a
> windows reboot.  What should I have done?  Can I correct it now, or will I
> need to do the install again?

Well, you can simulate a reboot using the "wineboot" command.

I'm not sure about the Windows app actually seeing the USB dongle
though, I don't know what the state of USB support is in Wine. You may
need to use a proper virtual machine such as VirtualBox if you need to
access a proprietary USB device, and you'll need a Windows license of
course.

Cheers,

James