[Wylug-help] IMAP problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:17:10 UTC 2008

I'm reduced to working on Googlemail - thank heavens I set gmail to
keep copies of mail.  Sometime yesterday I stopped receiving mail - I
was busy at the time so didn't notice for hours.

My system is fetchmail (running as a cron), procmail, dovecot, kmail
(I also have thunderbird).  Most, though not all, of my mail goes
through gmail.  I have tried to test the separate sections, but the
only thing I can come up with is that running 'fetchmail -a' manually
returns to a prompt, without any notices of mailboxes checked.  That
is surely wrong.

At the same time, reading mail on Horde on zen.co.uk suggests that
mail must be fetched, since there is none on the server.

The procmail log file seems to stop abruptly, but that's showing a
modified time-stamp of  28th August, which is ridiculous since I was
reading mail yesterday morning. That file is still set as the logfile
in .procmailrc.  Perms are

-rw------- 1 anne anne 6025 Sep 12 20:27 .procmailrc

/var/log/maillog ends with

Sep 16 11:05:01 borg2 postfix/local[6626]: A98D916FC8C:
to=<anne at lydgate.net>, orig_to=<root>, relay=local, delay=0.08,
delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command:
/usr/bin/procmail)
Sep 16 11:05:01 borg2 postfix/qmgr[2860]: A98D916FC8C: removed

The indications appear to point to procmail, but in the past the only
two scenarios I've met are incorrect permissions on .procmailrc, which
doesn't seem to be the case, and an incorrect recipe causing procmail
to fail.  In that case an mbox file is usually created in Maildir
containing the lost mail.  No such file exists.

I'm totally lost on what else to check.