[Wylug-help] wi-fi fun

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 14:12:03 UTC 2008

Having been given a BT 2700HGV router and managed to get it going in
wired mode to run machines on internal 192.168.1.xxx range and external
on the fixed IPs allocated by Zen Internet, thought I'd try my hand at
the wireless, so bought an Edimax EW-7318UG wireless stick, and tried to
configure it to run on the ancient, rarely used laptop running
Xubuntu-7.01 (Feisty something or other).

Successfully (I think) installed rt73 driver to drive the stick and sudo
modprobe -v rt73 doesn't throw any errors - nor feedback. But couldn't
get a connection to the router.

Where do I start? The laptop has an earlier wireless device which no
longer works (it lasted two or three weeks, IIRC) and rausb0 is still
showing in /etc/network/interfaces and ifconfig doesn't show any
wireless interfaces at all. So to start with, how do I get the stick and
the driver talking together?

TIA,

Mike