[Wylug-help] GUI printing in Gnome on Ubuntu (Intrepid)

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 15:18:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

I hardly ever print to paper (almost exclusively for Tax returns), and then
I do it using CUPS's lpr CLI.

However, this afternoon I was staring at a bunch of PDF file icons in
nautilus and thought that I might as well just print the PDFs from there
... gui-wise.

So I mouse-selected the icons and right clicked, expecting to see a
context menu item for printing the selected files ... no such luck.

So I then looked up at the nautilus menu bar expecting to find a print
icon or menu somewhere ... no more luck.

So then I looked around the desktop panels, their default menus and the
desktop generally, hoping to find some sort of print queue icon or menu
that I could 'drop' the PDFs on ... still nothing.

Do GUI users really have to open a PDF viewer, just to print a PDF? ...
surely, not?

So what really obvious feature of the Ubuntu GUI am I missing?

Dave