[Wylug-help] Inactive RAID 10 Array

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 15 07:36:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Dave Fisher wrote:

> As I implied in the original post, most of the data is unimportant, but
> a tiny part of it could get me in me in very hot water with HMRC  ...
> and I am not too proud to admit that the prospect scares me.

So for anyone else about to get themselves into this state (I realise it's of
no immediate use for you Dave)...

Backups are important and fun.

If it matters that much to you, make sure you're protecting against fire,
theft, hardware failure and human error.

> If that wasn't scary enough, adding new disks has completely changed all
> the /dev/sd* names ... although I should be able to find their UUIDs ...
> if only I could remember the necessary incantation.

The easiest way to prove you've got a good backup of those disks, is to stop
using the originals.  Can you drop the new PCI-X controller + disks in another
machine, and try to rebuild the array on the backup?

If you don't, you'll surely find that you've now got duplicate UUIDs (since
the backups will match won't they?).

jh

--
"Some women respond to the whip, some to the kiss.  Most of them like a
  mixture of both, but none of them answer to the mind alone, to the