[Wylug-help] Amavis config problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:32:14 UTC 2009

I've had clamAV running for a while - apart from getting frustrated at having
to sort out config files every time there's an update.  Recently I was advised
to add amavis-new into the scheme, but I just can't get it to play nicely.

I was advised to make the socket point to the one that clamd uses, and this
I've done, but amavis started briefly - I'm not sure how long it ran before
dying - and I can't restart it.  I'm seeing this:

amavisd start
Bareword found where operator expected at /etc/amavisd.conf line 56, near
"/tmp/clamd"
        (Missing operator before lamd?)
Error in config file "/etc/amavisd.conf": syntax error at /etc/amavisd.conf
line 56, near "/tmp/clamd"

That 'Missing operator' bit looks weird?  Anyway, line 56 says

$unix_socketname = /tmp/clamd.socket

It's followed by an empty line, so it can't be a missing EOL character or
anything like that.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks