[Wylug-help] Apt without /var

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 00:44:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

Anyone that's been following this list will know that I currently have a
file server running without /home /tmp and /var filesystems.

This is a bit of an issue, since one potential solution to my RAID
problem is to install a newer or older kernel, but apt relies on /var
for cacheing, package lists, locking, etc.

I'm fairly sure that I could install a kernel, intrd and update grub,
the old fashioned way (by-passing the normal debian infrastructure), but
I'd rather not do that, if I can avoid it.

Anyone got any ideas about how I might rig up some temporary method of
using apt (or at least dpkg) to do the job?  e.g. using wget to download
the relevant .debs and dpkg to install.

Dave