[Wylug-help] X freeze

Felix Ulrich-Oltean linux at felixu.com
Fri Apr 17 16:32:02 UTC 2009

Hi

I upgraded my Debian unstable (with apt-get dist-upgrade) system the
other night and now X seems to have stopped working.  X and xfce
starts and loads up panels, desktop stuff, etc, but there's no
response to mouse movement or keyboard presses.  I can't for example
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of X or switch to a console.  However the
machine is not entirely dead, because I can ssh into it from another
computer.

I've tried to look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any clues, but I
don't really know what I'm looking for.

It's an old ATI Radeon video card.  The kernel is a custom (but
reliably used) 2.6.21.

Any suggestions where I might start?

Ta,

Felix.