[Wylug-help] system-config-network, DHCP and routes

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 11:22:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> On Thursday 23 April 2009 16:38:46 tim+sw+wylug+help at timbaldwin.fastmail.co.uk
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:41 +0100, "Gary Stainburn"
>>
>> <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk> wrote:
>>> one for a VPN
>>> 	eth2
>>> 	DHCP 91.85.127.194
>>> 	DHCP allocated gateway 212.104.130.193
>>
>> The gateway must be within the same subnet as the interface address, I
>> can't see how these settings could possibly work.
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I queried this too, and think that this may be a part of the problem. However,
> When working using DHCP, this is the default gateway, and everything does in
> fact work.
>
> Also, if I set things manually I can ping and traceroute to it no problem.

The gateway /is/ accessible, because you've got a host route:

212.104.130.193 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth2

I've got a machine that only has a host route to its gateway, and that works
fine.

jh

--
"It's better to send middle aged men abroad to bore each other than send young
  men abroad to kill each other."                     -- Robin Cook