[Wylug-help] FC10 - External USB drive and LVM

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 14:29:07 UTC 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009 13:30:15 John Hodrien wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Mounting_a_Linux_LVM_volume.html
> >
> > The above may do the trick for you.
>
> If it's a new disk you've added to a system since it was last booted, and
> device mapper doesn't do any magic, I think you want to do a vgscan as well
> so LVM knows about it.
>
> jh

I didn't need to run vgscan, but I ran i anyway.

However, I have a problem because I seem to have two VolGroup00.

I can't then seem to refer to the specific one that I want , i.e. the one on
PV /dev/sdb2. It lvdisplay shows the one one /dev/sda

[root at lcomp5 ~]# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
[root at lcomp5 ~]# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb2
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               76.23 GB / not usable 10.02 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              2439
  Free PE               1
  Allocated PE          2438
  PV UUID               1JQFPi-Ht1z-S3Po-sdEM-fJWu-mYYr-ig0zTf

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               153.19 GB / not usable 5.08 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              4902
  Free PE               1
  Allocated PE          4901
  PV UUID               JpiwWu-k8un-Ua3f-ZePz-D1KA-z4hk-pDI5eE

[root at lcomp5 ~]# lvdisplay /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol0*
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                S3NRk0-s5D4-0Db1-qr3b-JBSw-tLe2-n19Vgu
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                151.28 GB
  Current LE             4841
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                yqZHiw-06WA-6b3H-Xj0r-wxJ7-nzo3-AzI0nh
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                1.88 GB