[Wylug-help] mysql installation.

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:34:11 UTC 2009

Hello Douglas,
  If you've installed mysql-server with synaptic (dpkg -l mysql-server will
tell you) you'll probably want to use ubuntu's startup rather than
attempting to run mysqld yourself.  The command "/etc/init.d/mysql start"
(without quotes) is what you would be expected to start mysql with, however,
I would expect it has already been started.  I would hazard a guess that
you're following a guide that is not tailored to ubuntu.

  If you have the mysql client (I would expect so if you have the server)
installed, you can type the following to verify that the sql server is
running :

  mysql -u root -p mysql

  I happen to know that the installation package for ubuntu is based on the
debian package and should have asked you to create a password for root
(which is not necessarily the same as your normal root password, but you may
have assumed it was), and that command will ask you for this.  If you didn't
get a prompt, you may find the password hidden in /etc/mysql somewhere.

  Hope this helps,

--
Martyn Ranyard