[Wylug-help] ssh help

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 14:09:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

I use Putty to log into my server (upstairs) from my laptop
(downstairs).  That works fine, but Logwatch keeps reporting:
Address IP maps to HOST, but this does not map back to the address -
POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
(where IP is the relevant 192.168.. number and HOST is the relevant host
name.)

In one sense, this doesn't matter at all: I get in and do what I want to
- and I know it was me so I can ignore the warning.

However it would be nice to get rid of it.

I'm using /etc/hosts to tell Linux (CentOS 5) the name of the host on
each IP, but is there a way to get the reverse lookup to work locally as
well?

TIA,

Roger

PS I did Google, but was totally swamped by solutions to the opposite
problem: NOT keeping out unauthorised attempts.