[Wylug-help] Insurance against lost mail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:19:33 UTC 2009

Repeated power cuts last week (severe problems in the whole village)
eventually caused a time when the UPS hadn't managed to recharge, and the
resulting crash did too much damage to repair.   This is the first time I've
seen that in 7 years!

I rebuilt the server box, but missed one step which caused procmail to have a
hissy fit, and I lost almost a whole day's list mail.  Logwatch today tells me

 System Error Messages:
     savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere: 5 Time(s)
     putbody: write error: Broken pipe: 99 Time(s)

I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to give procmail access to
a safe area where it can write when things go badly wrong like this?  Or do I
take it as a completely abnormal event, and just accept it?  I know that
mistakes in recipes simply leave it writing an mbox file which I can recover,
so maybe this one-off just has to be accepted.