[Wylug-help] Dual Screen / Xinerama.

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 23 08:53:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got on this topic before and also done a load more googling but I still
> haven't got an answer.
>
> I have a FC10 / WinXP system at home with a NVidia GForce 9600 card in it.
> Attached to it I have 2 19" screens.
>
> In WinXP everything works fine. I have the left screen as the main one and
> can open and drag windows between the two screens with ease.
>
> However, in FC10 all I can manage to do is to get both screens to have the
> content which is of course no use.
>
> My research points to me needing to use Xinerama. However, that same research
> indicates that this is no longer supported being replaced by another project
> which then itself got dropped.

Xinerama works just fine, and I'm using it on machines here to run four
monitors across two cards just merrily.

> Is this true?
> If not, does anyone have SIMPLE instructions on how to set it up
> If yes, is there an alternative system I could use?

Use the binary nvidia driver and the inbuilt TwinView, as it's better than
using Xinerama.  I believe xorg-x11-drv-nvidia from rpmfusion is probably your
easiest option with Fedora.

Setup your X config.  I tend to just do it by hand.  Take a normal X config
that works with one screen.  Go to the Device section:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "nVidia"
         BoardName   "Quadro FX 4500"
         Option      "TwinView" "on"
         Option      "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1280x1024"
         Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
         Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Do not attempt to enable Xinerama elsewhere in your X config.

jh

--
"Committee - a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group
  decide that nothing can be done."                   -- Fred Allen