[Wylug-help] Printer seems to be printing out raw postscript

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Tue Mar 3 00:53:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:13:18PM +0000, linux at felixu.com wrote:

> I have a Debian unstable system connected to an HP DeskJet 6540 by
> USB.  I run CUPS and use the hpijs driver.

CUPS in unstable just switched to a PDF workflow.  This means your
print job is no longer converted to PostScript (PS) to be sent to the
print job filter chain.  It's PDF end-to-end (unless you have a PS
printer, in which case it's converted back to PS at the end step).

This means you can print directly in PDF without it being converted
to PS first, but if you print PS it's converted to PDF internally
before processing.

This is all fine.  The problem you have is that one of the components
in the filter chain hasn't been updated to cope with PDF input, and
so results in the garbage you are getting (see below).

> Since about a week ago, it has started to spew out rubbish - I'm
> guessing it's raw ps but don't really know.  The CUPS test page output
> starts with
>
> %PDF-1.3
> %1234
> % This file was generated by pdftopdf

pdf2pdf is part of the filter chain.

> Just for something to try, I've re-configured the CUPS printer, done
> dpkg-reconfigure on things like cups, hpijs, hpijs-ppds.  Not sure
> where to go next.

This has a temporary fix for the problem (disabling PDF as a filter
format).  However, you'll see that the real fix (a PDF-capable
Foomatic filter) will be uploaded shortly.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh