[Wylug-help] (no subject)

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 21:41:36 UTC 2009

Glenn wrote:
> Hi guys!
> I hope this reaches you because that'll mean that I've actually done
> something right!! Woo hoo!!

Hey, ho, so you have! Congratulations Glen. Welcome to the newbie club.

> So I've managed to configure Evolution to send an e-mail, next step is
> to install an up to date version of Fedora and then just when I've got
> that working (ish) replace with a different distro altogether because
> Fedora's a bit too technical for a total newbie!!

??? OK, if that's what you want to do. I quite liked FC when I used to
use it. Strikes me it's as good as anything for learning your way
around. Just upgrade to v10. It's had some terrific reports. Thinking of
going back there myself!

> My next question is that when I minimise the 'windows' that I'm using
> they vanish altogether - there's a blur of movement which seems to lead
> to the bar at the bottom of the screen.

If something is whooshing towards the bottom of the screen, I'd suspect
there is a toolbar down there wrongly configured. Try probing around
with the cursor and see if you come up with anything. Also, make sure
you haven't (accidentally) put the toolbar to one side or at the top.

Finally, and staying within the gui, right click and follow one of the
drop down options - it's often just a case of making it visible from there.

  When I do this using a Microsoft
> system this leaves a button on the bar which I can click on to restore
> the window with my current system there's nothing so I end up with
> several reduced size windows on the screen.  Is this something that will
> be resolved when I put on the new o/s or is it something to do with the
> way I have the machine configured?

Within most distros you have several windows to choose from visible in
the toolbar. Once you've sorted out how to see them it will be far
better than what 'doze can offer.