[Wylug-help] avahi-autoipd

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Wed May 6 21:25:19 UTC 2009

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2009, Roger wrote:
>
>> Logwatch told me today that on my server:
>>
>> --------------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin ------------------
>>
>>  New Users:
>>     avahi-autoipd (100)
>>
>>  New Groups:
>>     avahi-autoipd (101)
>>

>>  Userhelper executed applications:
>>     root -> system-config-services as root:  2 Time(s)
>>     root -> pup as root:  1 Time(s)
>>
>>  Changed users default login shell:
>>     User gdm change shell from /sbin/nologin to /sbin/nologin: 1 Time(s)
>>
>>  ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End -------------------
>>

>> I didn't initiate this.  Have I been hacked?
>
> You've not upgraded any packages?

Hi John (and Imran),

Yes, now you ask...  Not deliberately, but I needed to re-boot the
server (CentOS) for the first time in months and the 'updates waiting'
window came up, so without engaging my brain, I just clicked 'Install'.

Given the above thoughtless behaviour, I've no idea what packages were
affected, though there's presumably a log somewhere?

My problem is that I just do what I do (mostly write and serve websites)
and know enough to do that.  There's lots of Linux that's totally opaque
to me!

Does this mean I may be safe?

Roger