[Wylug-help] avahi-autoipd

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Thu May 7 13:30:01 UTC 2009

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2009, Roger wrote:
<snip>
>> Does this mean I may be safe?
> I'd say so (although I've not got a Fedora 10 box to hand to be specific).

CentOS rather then F10, but still Red Hat...

> As a hunch, try:
>
> rpm -qi $(rpm -qf /etc/init.d/avahi-autoipd)
>
> I reckon that'll show an rpm that was installed on the day you say.  Maybe
> not, as I'm guessing at what the service is called.

The same Logwatch report that frightened me contains:
--------------------- yum Begin ------------------------
  Packages Installed:
     perl-Convert-ASN1 - 0.20-1.1.noarch
     avahi-compat-libdns_sd - 0.6.16-1.el5_2.1.x86_64

In addition:
   rpm -qi $(rpm -qf /etc/init.d/avahi*)
reported that avahi was built by CentOS, so it seems legit.

> Here's how I interpreted it:

> I'm guessing a package got installed, and the package created a user and group
> for the service it's deploying.

> Then the rpm will have triggered a postinstall script that enabled itself.

> Isn't pup the update tool or similar in F10?

I've just checked; pup is a front-end for yum, so effectively, yes.

It all seems coherent - and that the only danger is my ignorance.  Still
there's a little less of that now!

Thanks a lot for reassuring me, John.

Roger