[Wylug-help] .deb equivs

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu May 28 09:50:51 UTC 2009

I wish to install a .deb package which depends on libcpanplus-perl.  I'm
running the latest Ubuntu, which comes with Perl 5.10, which already has
the CPANPLUS module provided as standard.

So I used equivs to create a cpanplus-dummy package which Provides:
libcpanplus-perl and Replaces: libcpanplus-perl (and Depends:
perl-modules (>= 5.10.0)) and it successfully installed, but hasn't been
sufficient to sate the original package.

I'm guessing that's because it Depends: libcpanplus-perl (>= 0.84) and
the dummy package isn't stating which version it's providing.  Is that
right?

And if so, is there any way round this or shall I just redundantly
install libcpanplus-perl and put up with having two copies of it?

Smylers