[Wylug-help] .deb equivs

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu May 28 13:11:01 UTC 2009

Aaron Crane writes:

> Smylers writes:
>
> > I wish to install a .deb package which depends on libcpanplus-perl.
>
> Is that the exact spelling of the dependency that your .deb specifies?

Yes.  I've previously used it on older Ubuntu systems which have Perl
5.8; it comes from here:

  http://debian.pkgs.cpan.org/debian/main/pool/cpan-lib/c/cpan-libcpanplus-perl/

> The Debian/Ubuntu perl-modules package Provides: libcpan-plus-perl
> (which is admittedly surprising, but that's nonetheless what they
> have).

I've been unable to find a package of that name anywhere, so I'm
wondering if it's a typo.  The spelling I have has been added as a
Provides: in the latest perl-modules in debian-unstable:

  http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/perl/perl_5.10.0-22/changelog

> > I'm guessing that's because it Depends: libcpanplus-perl (>= 0.84)
> > and the dummy package isn't stating which version it's providing.
> > Is that right?
>
> I believe so.  I think versioned Provides: would solve this, but AFAIK
> that isn't yet possible.

Fair enough.

> > And if so, is there any way round this or shall I just redundantly
> > install libcpanplus-perl and put up with having two copies of it?
>
> That would normally work fine

Except it turns out not to.  Packages from debian.pkgs.cpan.org install
under /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/, where the provided Perl 5.10 doesn't
find them.

> I think that the .deb you're trying to install is incorrect, and
> should therefore be fixed and rebuilt.  Is that an option for you?

I was trying to install CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb, so as to be able to build
.deb packages of Cpan modules.  Since CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb is itself a
Cpan module, I was hoping that a pre-packaged version of that module
would solve the obvious bootstrap issue.

And I would've liked for all installed Perl modules on the system to
come from .deb packages.  I guess I'm going to have to let that go, and
install CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb outside of Apt.

(At which point I'll be able to use CPANPLUS::Dist::Deb to build a .deb
of itself.  Which will enable bootstrapping other computers.  But since
Cpan distributions don't really do uninstalling, this one will remain
tainted.)

Smylers