[Wylug-help] Bash Completion on Centos

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 16:16:14 UTC 2009

On 24 Nov 2009, at 16:12, Smylers wrote:

> Thanks; I hadn't previously heard of Epel.
>
> Is it recommended?  I'm not the sys-admin for this server, and if it's
> currently using only officially supported packages I'm wary about
> installing things from elsewhere.

EPEL is pretty mainstream - its the Fedora packages (with appropriate vetting) rebuilt for RHEL/Centos. It has a policy of not replacing system packages.  Personally I'd trust it.

The package you originally showed comes from the Dag repository, which is a bit more of a one man effort (was going to be part of a combined effort called rpmforge, but thats gone quiet), but normally of good quality.  I've used Dag packages before (I tend to rebuild them and use them within my own local repository rather than allowing systems to pull directly from the external repo, but thats local policy).

At present my systems only use a local network copy of the system repository and our own local one.  The package builder does use EPEL and I rebuild packages from there, elsewhere and locally generated packages into our local repo.

Not sure if that helps :-)

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.com ]