[Wylug-help] External USB Disk

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Wed Oct 28 20:27:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Smylers wrote:

> Hi there.  I'm thinking of getting am external USB disk, such as this
> one from Buffalo with 1 Tb of storage for ?70:
>
>  http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=33798
>
> When I get it, what filesystem should I use?
>
> Mostly I'll be using it with Linux, but it would be nice to have the
> option of taking it elsewhere and connecting it to others' computers,
> including those running other operating systems.

It depends what your envisioned use is. Is it for showing pictures or
similar on other peoples machines? If so maybe partition it. Create a
FATwhatever partition for this use. Use another partition(s) for linux
use backups etc? Always carry a linux bootable CD/USBstick for those times
you need to move files from linux to fat partition?