[Wylug-help] Live CD/DVD for quick hardware checkout

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Wed Jun 16 17:46:39 UTC 2010

What Live CD/DVD options have I got which are likely to be generic enough
to quickly check-out an almost three year old Toshiba Satellite portable
(P200-155)?

This portable is running Vista (its not mine!) and has been having
hot-swap recognition problems, and occasional loss of same, for the two
LHS USB connections for some time - the pair on the RHS are fine so it
could well just be a dry joint on the LHS connector - but I think its
equally likely that the MS drivers are in a twist for those two ports.

The machine has a full 3-year return to Toshiba warranty and is coming
to decision time next month!  Fortunately I was consulted before the
owner took the Help Desk advice to reinstall from the Toshiba boot
CD to see if that fixed the problem and if not to return it to them!

btw I hope that Toshiba would have talked to her about backup before
talking her through the reinstall - I think they would since they called
me for a chat when she started to express concern.

Andrew