[Wylug-help] Fetchmail setup

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 25 11:47:13 UTC 2010

On Thursday 25 Nov 2010 11:25:41 Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2010, at 11:02, A J Cole wrote:
> > Maildrop is an MDA - it doesn't at a quick look appear to offer any
> > advantage over procmail other than perhaps its use (more precisely its
> > non-use) of memory while processing mega mail messages.  A quck look
> > at that bug thread isn't too worrying since nearly all the reports are
> > of an error message being produced (with mail still being delivered)
> > which appears to be due to maildrop's development as the(?) MDA for the
> > Courier MTA.
>
> One advantage is maintenance - procmail is in full-on zombie mode -
> it ought to be dead but no one has closed the coffin lid.
>
> See
> 	https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/416901/37def822ec99e069/
>
> for details (thats a LWN subscriber link - the article will become
> generally visible at https://lwn.net/Articles/416901 in a week,
> but as a subscriber I can hand out occasional direct article links).

Hmm.  I've been using procmail for years, and have a long recipe list.  I
guess it's time to start learning a new MDA, then.  I imagine that it should
simply slot in to my system, once I've read up on how it needs the recipes
defining.  You mentioned that it is being developed for use with courier - I
assume that there are no problems using it with dovecot?

Side-comment:  confirming the comment in the last message, I use postfix for
local delivery, that is delivering within my LAN and not going to my ISP's
smtp system at all.  It's easy to set up, and I'm happy with it.

KDE Community Working Group