[Wylug-help] Advice

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 24 06:45:15 UTC 2010

On Friday 22 Oct 2010 13:50:40 Pighills Alison wrote:
> Dear Sir / Madam,
>

> I wonder if you could possibly give me some advice - I have just bought
> my daughter a Dell Mini 10 netbook which runs on the Linux operating
> system and I would like to buy a USB connecting DVD/CD drive for it - do
> I need to buy something specific to ensure that it will be detected?

Like the others, I have no experience of the Dell netbook, but my experience
of USB devices in general is that they just work with any reasonably recent
distribution of Linux.  I have an Acer netbook, and use such a drive with
mine.  The only caveat I'd add is to buy a name that is reasonably well-known
- it doesn't have to be in the top ten computer company names, but one where
you can find plenty of information about their products if you google for the
name.  There is always the possibility that an unknown company doesn't obey
standards in some way.

KDE Community Working Group