[Wylug-help] Advice

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sun Oct 24 19:54:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 13:50 +0100, Pighills Alison wrote:

> Dear Sir / Madam,

Hi Alison,

> I wonder if you could possibly give me some advice –I have just bought
> my daughter a Dell Mini 10 netbook which runs on the Linux operating
> system and I would like to buy a USB connecting DVD/CD drive for it –
> do I need to buy something specific to ensure that it will be
> detected?

I have a Dell Mini 10 running Linux and I bought the cheapest one that
Argos sold. It worked fine. There's no need for special drivers as this
type of device uses a very standard way of communicating.

The usual requirement is two USB ports because a single port cannot
provide enough power on its own. Fortunately the Mini 10 has three USB
ports so you'll be fine.

Kind regards,

James