[Wylug-help] Buying laptop with no OS installed

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Sep 9 14:37:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 11:01:00AM +0100, Howard Close wrote:
> Does anyone have any recent experience of buying a laptop without the
> ubiquitous Windows 7 installed and hence negotiating a price reduction?
> Do I remember a few years ago a legal challenge about unfair practices in
> this area?

Yes there was, but I don't think it'd be worth the effort since some
lower end laptops come with Windows 7 Starter. Microsoft introduced this
as a response to netbooks being pre-loaded with Linux and the OEM
license cost is peanuts.

My Dell Mini 10 came with Win7 Starter, and I don't think it'd even be
worth the price of the stamp writing to them to ask for a refund.

To be totally honest, I dual booted it in the end. Whilst 99.9% of what
I do is Linux, having a Windows install lying around does occasionally
come in useful. Very occasionally ;-)

James