[Wylug-help] Server Support

Roger Greenwood rogerggbr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 17:32:02 UTC 2010

Thanks Guys,

I am approaching this now from 3 fronts :-

- Talking to existing supplier to reduce support costs
- Talking to possible new suppliers of a pre-configured linux server
- Installed a server version of Ubuntu 10.04 on a spare machine today so
I can tinker about with it. So far it is installed, and I can browse the
local network. Next stage is to set up an email server (I think the
default install is exim4).

I have a lot to learn, of course, on my way to becoming a junior
sysadmin so any pointers/pitfalls with exim appreciated. As an example
of my inexperience, during the install it asked me how much space to
reserve on the 300GB disk. I chose 250GB, but ended up with 50GB for
Ubuntu, leaving the larger space for the incumbent. I now know why, and
I expect more mistakes like this in the days to come (I still say the
question was badly phrased!). Not to worry, I can always install it
again later.

RG