[Wylug-help] Server Support

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 27 21:15:17 UTC 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010 21:09:12 Roger Greenwood wrote:
> Yes I already found that and bookmarked it, along with
> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/exim4.html
>
> I could do with a simple version of this
> http://www.uit.co.uk/content/exim-smtp-mail-server
> i.e. less than 640 pages!

Try a Google search for "ubuntu exim4 authenticate".  You should find a
reference to Howtoforge which is a great 4 page document and quick
reference.  Howtoforge.com does have some very good pages for first
time configuration.  Such as the ISP config pages for Exim4 and Postifx
and MySQL usage with mailer software and PHP based web apps.
Installing the LAMP stack is also a good one to search for.

If you are thinking of installing an Apache server make sure it's on a
different box.  Firewall ?  Wot's one of those ?  Don't worry about
that.  Point and click configuration in fifteen minutes....

http://www.pfsense.org/

This is used by a lot of Government departments and big commercial
organisation to keep out the nasties.  My own contribution to the
project was to write about it for IT magazines.

--
Richard
http://www.sheflug.org.uk