[Wylug-help] Scriptable FTP, creating remote archives

Christopher McLean C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Dec 2 11:31:06 UTC 2011

Key based ssh, with tar output pumped over the connection? something like;

tar -czfv - <LVM SNAPSHOT> | ssh root at dumpserver.nixcraft.in "cat > /backup/<LVM SNAPSHOT>.tar.gz"

if you are up for it, you could most likely pump the lvm snapshot output directly to tar and never have data hit your local filesystem.

I hate backups and as a rule of thumb remain paranoid about them, so general caveats of YMMV/not my fault/I didn't do anything apply to the above :)

Chris