[Wylug-help] Laptop display problems - Radeon X600

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 15:40:48 UTC 2011

I was asked to make a clean install of Windows XP and Mageia onto an
elderly laptop.  All was going well until I did some serious updating.

Mageia - after a full update, the display is lengthened to the point
where the KDE panel is off-screen.  I'm getting round that for now by
installing a second panel at the top.

Windows XP - was fine until I did the SP3 update.  Now the display is
garbled, with all text dithered.  I tried restoring to before the
update, but the display is the same.  Is it possible that the update has
damaged the display card?  If necessary I'll go back to a clean install,
but the need for updates will remain.  I know that XP without SP3 is not
going to receive updates.

This laptop is to be a fall-back only, so I'm reluctant to spend too
much time or money on it - it's already cost me over a day's work.  I
did wonder whether replacing the display card was feasible, but I've
never done that on a laptop.

Thoughts?

Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or