[Wylug-help] Fwd: Laptop display problems - Radeon X600

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:02:07 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 01:19 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 03:30 PM, John Craven wrote:
>> 1. Have you tried to boot up in safe mode ?
>
> Yes - no difference.
>
>> 2. Have you tried an external monitor ?
>
> No, but I will.

I attached a monitor and booted directly in Mageia.  On the monitor,
everything was perfectly scaled.  The monitor is a 4:3 one, and the
laptop is a widescreen.  I attempted to change the display on the
laptop, but the preview was obviously not right.  After a couple of
attempts of that, the monitor died.  It's not a very old one, and it may
be absolutely coincidence, but I'm not sure it is.  The fuse is fine,
but I can't get even a power light on the monitor.

I don't feel inclined to follow this any further.  I've lost the monitor
that made my netbook more useful for some projects.  I'm not even going
to attempt to sell it for spares.  The only question now is whether, for
security's sake, I should remove the hard drive before scrapping.
There's no data on there, and repeated reinstalls should have
overwritten things beyond repair, yet still I'm uneasy about leaving the
drive in.

Opinions?

Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or