[Wylug-help] Backing up to remote host - revisited

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:56:52 UTC 2011

A few weeks ago I wrote about my attempts to use rsync across a LAN.  The
script appeared to start working, then froze, and I couldn't find out why.
Several people tried to help me, on and off-list but without success, so it
went on the back-burner, but not forgotten.

Having read a good review of Luckbackup I decided to try that today.  I have
set up one job, with three data sets.  All have the same configuration to
access the remote host using password-protected keys.  Two of the data sets
work in the dry run, and the third one fails.  I still can't see the
difference.  Here's what I see:

=====================================
execution of task : OOoDocs, starting
Source : /home/anne/OpenOfficeDocs/
Destination : /mnt/server_Data1/OpenOfficeDocs/
sending incremental file list

created directory /mnt/server_Data1/OpenOfficeDocs

./

0213WG-WorkingWithMasterDocuments.pdf
How_to_Write_a_Thesis_in_OOo.pdf
MasterDocs.pdf
Page_numbering_again.txt
Page_numbering_more.txt

Number of files: 6
Number of files transferred: 5

Total file size: 2.49M bytes
Total transferred file size: 2.49M bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 195
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 222
Total bytes received: 30

sent 222 bytes  received 30 bytes  168.00 bytes/sec
total size is 2.49M  speedup is 9897.46 (DRY RUN)

execution of task : OOoDocs, finished =====================================
execution of task : Scribus, starting
Source : /home/anne/Scribus/
Destination : /mnt/server_Data1/Scribus/
sending incremental file list

created directory /mnt/server_Data1/Scribus

./

3column_magazine.sla
50637-magazine_layout.sla
50651-article_title_page.sla

Number of files: 37
Number of files transferred: 36

Total file size: 11.08M bytes
Total transferred file size: 11.08M bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 1.10K
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 1.22K
Total bytes received: 123

sent 1.22K bytes  received 123 bytes  2.68K bytes/sec
total size is 11.08M  speedup is 8265.58 (DRY RUN)

execution of task : Scribus, finished =====================================

execution of task : Photos, starting
Source : /home/anne/Pictures/
Destination : /mnt/server_Data1/Photos/

ssh: connect to host 102.168.0.40 port 22: Connection timed out

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync
error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
execution of task : Photos, finished =====================================

Such information as I've found on the web suggests that it is an
authentication problem, yet I own all three of the destination directories,
and all three have the same perms set.

Any ideas?