[Wylug-help] Backing up to remote host - using keychain for passwords

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 2 10:45:21 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011 20:52:04 A J Cole wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 03:55:23PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >>=20
> >>
> >> ssh: connect to host 102.168.0.40 port 22: Connection timed out=20
> >>
> >>=20
> >
> >That sort of indicates a network problem, to me at least.
>
> Is that Ip correct?  192.X perhaps?

Well that's the first mystery cleared up - you see what you expect to see.
Thanks for that.

It remains now to discover why the dry runs succeed, but when I do an actual
run they fail - apparently keychain may not be working as expected.

Possibility 1 -

Last night I tweaked my .bash_profile, and keychain appeared to be perfect,
but this morning I tested the luckybackup jobs and they still don't run.
What's more, although I can't quote chapter and verse, I feel that something I
did yesterday is not there today, and I'm not sure what it is.  I thought that
everything necessary was in my .bash_profile, which now reads

eval `keychain --eval id_rsa 1E1C9C17 --agents ssh,gpg`
# Start keychain and indicate private key(s)
#/usr/bin/keychain ~/.ssh/id_rsa /.gnupg/secring.gpg
# stop the annoying "agent PID" message
source ~/.ssh-agent > /dev/null
# sourcing bashrc is a good thing
source ~/.bashrc

(BTW - can I force this to be read again after making a change, without
logging out?)

The log file says:

rsync: mkdir "/home/anne/192.168.0.40/Data1/OpenOfficeDocs" failed: No such
file or directory (2)

rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(576) [receiver=3.0.5]

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync
error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.7]
execution of task : OOoDocs, finished

That brings up Possibility 2 -

I'm using the mode "copy contents of directory" so I don't understand why it's
trying to create a directory, much less why it is trying to create it in my
home directory.

I originally used my local mount point instead of the IP, but that gives a
similar error:

rsync: mkdir "/mnt/borg2_Data1/OpenOfficeDocs" failed: No such file or
directory (2)

Is the addressing mode the real problem?

The manual is quite detailed on a lot of things, but vague on the remote
backup settings, IMO.