[Wylug-help] Help needed with trying to identify spammer

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Nov 8 19:14:51 UTC 2011

Hi John,

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 19:03 +0000, John Craven wrote:
> Hi Guys...
>
> I have been notified that a spammer is sending mail through my server.
> I need help in finding out how this is happening.

Ouch. Can we get a full copy, including headers, of one of the spam
mails that's alleged to have come through your server. Use the mail
client's "forward as attachment" option, rather than the usual "inline"
forwarding which would not include the headers. Feel free to forward it
to me directly as well, because the mailing list will probably
(hopefully!) junk it.

To be honest, the usual explanation is that somebody is just spoofing
the "From" header and it's not coming through your server at all, but
we'll see.

James