[Wylug-help] SMTP problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:49:54 UTC 2011

About an hour ago I wrote to this list:

  I've been using postfix for a long time, using transport maps to separate
messages for LAN delivery and messages to go externally.  My transport hash is
based on

lydgate.net     local:
.lydgate.net    local:
lydgate.lan     local:
.lydgate.lan    local:
*       smtp:[mailhost.zen.co.uk]
.*      smtp:[mailhost.zen.co.uk]

Normally it works perfectly, but I need to send a message to a small mailing
list that I host, named creativestitching at lydgate.org.  The error message
makes it clear that it thinks creativestitching is a LAN recipient.

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[192.168.0.103]: 550 5.1.1
<creativestitching at lydgate.org>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in local recipient table; from=<anne at lydgate.org>
to=<creativestitching at lydgate.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<tosh.lydgate.lan>

a)  Why is a lydgate.org address now being seen as local?

b) How can I change the transport map to avoid it?

Since then I realised that even if I set the mail transport to use
gmail's smtp, the messages still don't go out.  This seems to have
started yesterday evening.  As far as I can see, there have been no
CentOS 6 updates, according to the log, since October 31st (but I have
a niggling feeling that that's not true).  SELinux is disabled as is
the firewall on this box.

/etc/alternatives/mta points to sendmail.postfix.

I'm out of ideas of what to check.  For the moment I'm reduced to webmail L-(