[Wylug-help] Should apt be running constantly?

Trevor Noland trevor at amaro.es
Sun Oct 30 13:36:20 UTC 2011

Hello Howard. I share your dislike of Unity, but if that's the only thing putting you off 11.04, you can easily turn it off and
revert to the session you prefer. Just choose "Ubuntu Classic" in the login screen before actually clicking to log in. It's down at
the bottom of the screen, along with the language and keyboard options.

> I have noticed that a short while after start-up things seem to be running rather slow.
> I find that background processes are using about 50% of my processor. Top reveals that this is almost exclusively
> caused by apt-get.
> If I do nothing then this state of affairs continues for hours and hours - indeed I dont know if it ever stops - it certainly > is
> still running over 6 hours later.
> Is this normal behaviour for apt? What is it doing to consume so much of my processing power?
> Also with nothing else running I note intermittent low activity on my internet connection - but perhaps this is send-
> census or popularity-contest??
> Because I was concerned I have taken to killing apt-get shortly after it starts and considered removing it from cron -
> but presumably it needs to run to update my system?
> Any advice or information would be gratefully received

I'm afraid I can't help you there, but it certainly doesn't sound normal to me, (however I'm no expert.) I never experienced
anything like that when I ran 10.xx
If I were to have this problem, and nobody else were to know how to remedy it, I would do a clean re-install. Sorry, I know that's
not the answer you want. Try upgrading to version 11 and use it in Ubuntu Classic if all else fails.
Trevor.