[Wylug-help] Slow Internet with Ubuntu 11.04

Trevor Noland trevor at amaro.es
Sat Sep 3 17:07:36 UTC 2011

I wasn't going to write anymore after the same setup not working at night but working fine the next morning (can't fight gremlins),
but feel I must thank you for your continued interest and thoughtful explanations.
I probably didn't mention it at the time, but on one of the (many) occasions that I was getting no joy from the wireless connection,
I did plug in an ethernet (RJ45) connection (without turning off the computer). It was recognised straight away, and started working
immediately, downloading Chromium-browser which otherwise I think would have been impossible to install with the wireless
connection. Once installed and tested, working fine, I unplugged the cable (again without switching off), and the wireless
connection took over again. Internet came to a virtual stop.
What I haven't tried, and probably should, is accessing files between the computers. Must try that sometime, not that I need to
share anything between the two. I don't know if I have to do anything special to get the two on speaking terms with one another.
Apropos "command-not found" (and other obscure commands, well, obscure to me), not only did the name of the command surprise me (and
amuse me,) but also the fact that it is tucked away in /usr/lib. Also, I suppose that you have to know what you are looking for in
the first place. I would possibly have searched for a "browser" (without x-www), using synaptec. I knew about "apropos" from way
back, but it's a while since I've used it. The fact that you specified you wanted a browser for the www made me wonder if there is
any other kind (I now assume there is.) Also specifying an "x" application. Although Linux was (is) a command line system, Ubuntu
(and other non-server flavours of linux) are now just about all GUI, so I wondered if there are any www browsers that are not "x" (I
suppose there are, but I can't imagine what they do.) I've never used any of the other workspaces that Ubuntu gives you, never
needed to, so I don't know if any of them are non-gui. I remember (I'm going back a while now), you used to be able to change
workspaces (although I don't think we called them that) by combinations of keys like Alt-F1, Alt-F2 etc, and they were all command
line, as was the default screen. To get a GUI you had to enter "startx", I think, and back then it was called "an x-window
environment" or something like that. Things have changed, mostly for the better I think, but I wish I could remember more from the
bad old days, as I think a lot of forgotten stuff would still be useful today.
Trevor.