[Wylug-help] SPAM filtering where From == To

Christopher McLean C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Aug 10 10:17:45 UTC 2012

Not particularly, but custom rules in spam assassin will be able to do this (and the rule/s will be impossible to read at the same time). But what about if a user wants to send email to themselves? I do that all the time.

How about greylisting? It should stop most of these simple spam attempts, but will add a minor delay for new senders. This can be done painfully in exim natively:

http://wiki.exim.org/SimpleGreylisting

or with standalone things like this:

http://spod.cx/blog/greylisting_with_exim_spamassassin.shtml

you should also be denying mail seemingly sent from your domain but not coming from your MX records - or just get it all in one hit by validating against SPF records! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework). Although fighting spam is a black art, with many ways to trim down the volume and no silver bullets; I'm sure lots of other people will say as I've done here "why don't you try <A THING I'VE USED BEFORE THTA WORKED>" :)

Chris