[Wylug-help] Can't install on Hardware SATA RAID10 on startech.com PCISATA4R1

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 29 12:31:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Having been badly burned again with software RAID I've opted for a hardware
> RAID controller, buying the one above.
>
> However, I cannot install Fedora. I've tried 14 and 16.  Both installs see the
> hardware RAID
>
> http://www1.ringways.co.uk/RAID_detected.jpeg
>
> but when I select it and try install the system crashes.
>
> http://www1.ringways.co.uk/RAID_debug.jpeg
>
> I've installed the controller, 4x500GB drives and configured RAID10 through
> the controller's BIOS before booting from the Fedora DVD.
>
> Any ideas what I can do next?

Are you sure you've opted for a hardware RAID controller?  Looks like it's a
fakeraid board, so you'll be using dmraid which fits in with what the error
messages look like.  I wouldn't count that as being better of than with
mdraid.  In my experience it's much easier to get burnt by dmraid than mdraid.

Have you tried deleting the RAID 10 set in the controller BIOS and setting up
the array within the Fedora installer?

jh