[Wylug-help] SSH help requested

John Craven jc at ukzone.com
Sun Jan 1 11:30:57 UTC 2012

I don't understand why you think that line 3 is not the problem.
Quote from previous mail:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
df:df:a2:17:c3:f3:f4:8c:c5:e2:e3:83:ae:51:78:b3.
Add correct host key in/home/anne/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this
message.
*_Offending key in/home/anne/.ssh/known_hosts:3_*
RSA host key for 192.168.0.40 has changed and you have requested strict
checking.
Host key verification failed.

It clearly states here that line 3 is the problem.

I'm wandering if you are editing the right file.
I have had this message many times when changing a server.
The file that you need to edit is on your netbook
i.e. your 'sending' computer.

Just delete line 3. It should have the receiving ip number at the
begining of the line followed by the auth. key
All you need to do is delete that line and save the file.
Do not replace the line with anything else. Just save the file.

Then you ssh to your new server.
You will then be asked for confirmation.
Type 'yes'
That will then add the necessary line to your
**/home/anne/.ssh/known_hosts** file.

Hope this makes it clearer than my previous post.

John C

HAPPY NEW YEAR...

On 30/12/2011 19:21, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 04:26 PM, John Craven wrote:
>
>> On 30/12/2011 14:05, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>

>>> Add correct host key in /home/anne/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this
>>> message.
>>> Offending key in /home/anne/.ssh/known_hosts:3
>>>

>> It looks to me that you have to delete your old key.
>> If so:
>> edit: /home/anne/.ssh/known_hosts - line 3.
>> You need to delete line 3.
>>
>> Then you can ssh -v 192.168.0.40 again and you will be asked for
>> verification.
>>

> Line 3 is the amended line, with the new key on, but taking this with
> Lee's contribution, I think line 1 is actually the problem - the old key
> is still there from external access - I had thought I could sort that later.
>
> I'm working in a Windows application at the moment, but I'll try that as
> soon as I can reboot the netbook.
>
> Anne

   Check out our British Country Music Web Sites

         http://www.countrymusic.org.uk
         http://www.bcmi-radio.co.uk

   Over 300,000 visitors a week