[Wylug-help] SSH help requested

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 2 09:32:44 UTC 2012

On 01/01/2012 10:48 PM, John Craven wrote:
> Hi Anne...
>
> Glad you have it sorted...
>
> Do you have it to auto connect? i.e. when you are transferring files,
> it automatically transfers without asking for a password.
>
> If not, and you would like instructions, let me know. It saves a lot
> of time.
>
> I always use rsync when transferring files across my servers.

For normal use, I'm set up fairly well, I think.  I mount the server
partitions as borg2_home and borg2_Data1 from fstab, so it's no
different than local directory transfers, apart from speed.  When I take
the netbook away for conferences or whatever, I simply comment out the
fstab lines to avoid the long delay in booting.

On the server I use rsync across drives, creating backups of everything,
though I've tried from time to time to get rsync to work across the LAN
and never got it right.

The ssh access is for two purposes.  I use it to check for updates on
the server and also to run bogotrain (spam filter bayesian updating) on
a regular basis, so that I don't have to break off whatever else I'm
doing to get screen, keyboard etc. set up on the server.  I also use it
occasionally when away from home if I find I need a file that I forgot
to transfer for local use.  I prefer not to keep more than necessary
data on the netbook.

The netbook, actually, runs Windows 7 Starter most of the time, as it
has been doing the DRM stuff for my eReader (now no longer working, so
another setup required), the TomTom updates, and most of all, the
software for design and programming of my embroidery machine.  Then it
changes lifestyle when I take it away, running Fedora so that I can keep
my normal things running.

Thanks for all the help.

Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or