[Wylug-help] RAID question

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 21:43:40 UTC 2012

Sorry for the double post - I forgot to edit the Subject...

Hi,

My Logwatch system email has, for the last few days included:

  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
<Snipped out 32 identical entries>
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
  Device: /dev/sdb, failed to read SMART Attribute Data

  ---------------------- Smartd End -------------------------

Meanwhile I also get:
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdc1[1] sdb1[2](F) sda1[0]
       256896 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 sdc4[1] sdb4[2](F)
       488375936 blocks [2/1] [_U]

md1 : active raid1 sdc3[1] sdb3[2](S) sda3[0]
       1462830592 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

md2 doesn't actually matter - everything there is also backed up on md1.

For further information all partitions 2 are swap partitions.

After 2 RAID failures (both drives) I'm twitchy.

I think I need to:
1 - buy another drive,
2 - fit and partition it,
3 - add its partitions as spares,
4 - wait for md2 to resynchronise,
5 - 'Fail' sdb2 and sdb3, then
6 - pull sdb out of the machine and chuck it in the recycling.

Is that the right thing to do and have I got the sequence right?

Thanks,

Roger

PS - and I'm sure I ought to know this - How do I check exactly which
drive is /dev/sdb ?