[Wylug-help] Starting New Threads

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 01:09:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 06/07/2012 10:29, Smylers wrote:
(And Anne Wilson wrote something very similar...)
> Roger writes:
>
>> Sorry for the double post - I forgot to edit the Subject...
>
> Hi. Actually, editing the subject line doesn't start a new thread
> either. When you wish to make a post on a new topic, please send a new
> mail to wylug-help at wylug.org.uk (or wylug-discuss@) rather than replying
> to an existing one.

To my shame, I use a laptop that configured to use 'Doze XP.  I tried to
re-partition it to run Linux as well, but the built in software
complained and refused to run its maintenance package.  I'm afraid I
bottled out and reverted to 'Doze, just using cross-OS software like
Thunderbird, Firefox and OpenOffice.

Under that, threads, as such, don't seem to be an option - it all looks
to me to be Subject driven.

Almost certainly my fault, but not deliberately so.

> When you reply to a message, mail clients put headers into your message
> indicating which thread it belongs to and what it is a reply to. For
> people who use a threaded view to read their mail, your message will
> appear to be part of t'other message's thread.
>
> This may mean some people miss it (if they've already decided that the
> other thread isn't something they are interested in, so are skipping
> over all of it), or that your message is later harder to find (because
> it's hidden inside a different thread).
>
> For example see the web archive, where changing the subject to 'RAID
> question' hasn't prevented the message from being part of the DHCP
> thread: http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wylug-help/2012-July/
>
> For those interested, the gory details are in the In-Reply-To: and
> clients generally have a way of letting you view the full headers of a
> message if you're curious.
>
> If you use a mail client which lets you edit the headers on a message
> you're sending, Mutt for example, then you can start a new thread by
> replying to a previous message then manually deleting those headers (but
> it's probably easier and safer just to get into the habit of sending a
> new mail).
>
> Cheers
>
> Smylers

Thanks both - I'll start over...