[Wylug-help] grub problems...

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:47:32 UTC 2012

Jim

> The single most common solution I found people had turned to? A
> re-install - just to sort out booting! Surely a sane booting regime
> shouldn't be that difficult?

This might sound a bit eccentric but this is what I do with my Ubuntu
Apache server at home.  I'm going to move over to CentOS for the sake
of my own sanity.  I've had so much trouble with Grub and non-booting
web servers that I use these boot disks....

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?
http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

The System Rescue CD is what I use to boot a non-bootable system.
Then... 'sudo apt-get remove grub'.  'sudo apt-get install grub'.  If
it's GRUB 2 you should also be able to run 'sudo grub-update'.  Which
should put the boot stanzas back in.  Ubuntu server 12.04 produces a
non-bootable machine on my hardware.  Which is ten years old.  I'm
building a new 64-bit server so that the software will work with it...

http://sleepypenguin.homelinux.org/blog

--
Richard

https://twitter.com/SleepyPenguin1